Monday, July 7, 2014

Communication Artifact

Because I am not a overly-talented person in the arts of, well, anything, I decided to offer a little bit of critique and analysis of the website for The Desert Rat and possibly begin to build a simple version of something I believe could be more effective.

My first impression of the website is, unsurprisingly, borderline impressed. For a small local business, the creativity fostered in the background of each page is impressive. However, although the site sticks to the overall style guide of font and color, I think it would be more effective for the background to possess a more "desert-y" color, such as a sand color, or an actual picture of the area taken by a customer, with it possibly rotating through on a weekly basis. I think the white background contradicts the rest of the desert theme of the style.

The site also does a respectable job of drawing in the attention to the top left of the screen, with the Desert Rate logo beginning the process of guiding one's eye in the Z pattern.  What I do not like is that there is not a lot of things to draw attention to and the pages are very bland. Because the site is not an online store, it doesn't necessarily need to have a ton of things, but some more info and a few more graphic elements, such as photos or videos, would be great additions. Using the rule of the and various layout designs for each page, the site could remain very simple while also providing necessary information.

I have begun building a website using wix.com with a basic idea of something I have in mind. (It is nowhere near complete).

No comments:

Post a Comment