Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Axioms of Web Design

For this assignment I chose to evaluate ESPN.com. This is a site that I visit several times a day, and not just for the obvious reason that I love sports. The design of the site, especially the home page, is extremely simple, yet, very pleasing to the eye. The placement of the company logo is is second only to the placement of top story media in the left center of the page. This is a natural spot for viewers to place their immediate attention. From there, other top stories are neatly organized below with corresponding media. To the right are links to top stories. Above this is the customizable navigation bar, with current scores above. My favorite thing about the site is it doesn't allow much scrolling. I'm a very big fan of a deep site with lots of links with visual aides, as I'm sure most sports fans are.

I think ESPN is one of the top companies in the world in maintaining its strong brand, and its consistent website attracts millions of hits per day for a reason; the organizational pattern it follows is outstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment