Thursday, June 5, 2014

Design Evaluation

For my design evaluation, I decided to compare car advertisements found in ESPN The Magazine. To me, it is very clear which one is better.

The Bad

In my opinion, this advertisement for Kia is very poor in quality of design. One element that particularly bothers me is the the attire worn by the model. I understand that football and futbol are different, but WTF does the American football equipment have to do with anything?

The overall continuity of the ad throws me off as well. It took me about 30 seconds to figure out that this was one single ad, not two ads on adjacent pages. One reason this happened is because the athlete is kicking the ball in the wrong direction, drawing my attention off the page and away from the product on the opposite page. While attempting to be simple, this ad has become complicated.

There also is a bit of closure lacking; I can not tell if the is in the middle of the field or  close to goal, and I also do not know if the cars are supposed to be near the stadium or not.


The Good
This ad for Jaguar is really appealing to me. Because this is the World Cup issue, Jaguar also goes with a soccer theme, just like Kia. The difference? This one makes sense and actually advertises the product. The natural lines of the car leave a direct path to follow toward the city, the stadium, and the Christ statue.

The foreground/background relationship is marvelous, and makes both the car and Brazil very sexy. The contrast is very well done and the design of the text goes very well with the brand that Jaguar has established.


No comments:

Post a Comment